3 ingredients and 5 simple steps… now there’s no excuse for hitting up a drive-through for a couple of these bad boys when you can whip them up so easily yourself.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- 2 washed baking potatoes (about 350g total)
- 1 large shallot, peeled
- 2 1/2 tablespoons rendered bacon fat or olive oil, divided
- Using the large holes on a box grater, shred the potatoes and shallot. There should be 275g of the shredded potato-shallot mixture.
- Place the shredded potato-shallot mixture into the centre of a kitchen towel, gather the corners of the towel, and squeeze the potato-shallot mixture in the towel, extracting as much liquid as possible. It is very important to get out as much moisture as possible.
- In a medium bowl, toss the drained potato-shallot mixture with 1 tablespoon of the bacon fat or olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons of bacon fat or olive oil in a large heavy sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add the seasoned potato-shallot mixture and press down lightly to evenly distribute the mixture.
- Flip the potato-shallot mixture after about 5 minutes, or when the potato-shallot mixture is crisp on the bottom. Press the mixture down to evenly distribute. Cook for about another 5 minutes, or until the potato-shallot mixture is crisp on the other side.
Et voilà… A delicious homemade breakky is served. This is a great recipe to have up your sleeve for those sleepy, slow weekend mornings. Serve your hashies classic style with bacon and eggs benedict or with perfectly poached eggs, rocket and tomato relish.